- What do pigs think of dawn?
- They cannot make incantations,
- But they may buoy it up with their huge pink bodies.
- Pigs defend the dawn while birds eat up the night.
- In the dawning when the world is deserted
- And the spiders are sleeping,
- People, dogs and the wind are sleeping,
- The pig grunts and it grows light.
- I wish to converse with the pigs.
- — Pablo Neruda
We must forgive the lazy afternoon indiscretions of swineherds and their swine, for both have already awoken and seen the dawn before the rest of this world.
the Porcine Oracle
- What is a swineherd, really?
- Meanwhile at dawn Odysseus and the loyal swineherd, Eumaeus, once they’d sent the herdsmen out with droves of pigs, made a fire in the hut and prepared their breakfast.
- The American Swineherd (ca. 1910).
- Blog posts about swineherds at Porkopolis.org include:
- Art links about swineherds at Porkopolis.org include:
- Poetry links about the swineherd at Porkopolis.org include:
This Soapbox post celebrates my favorite avocation and vocation on the occasion of my birthday. And most certainly, we have a toast for that.