Super Bowl XLVIII – 02/02/2014
Seattle Seahawks (15-3) vs. Denver Broncos (15-3)
The skin of some nameless and flightless pig, tightly stitched around an elastic bladder becomes a vessel of flight. For in the same way that a crow can fly over a cornfield, air can sail 70 yards or more in the inflated skin of a pig.
The pig is the granular surface of the football.
the Porcine Oracle
- Here is some great info on the various sports of football at Wikipedia. Note: The oldest football still in existence, which is thought to have been made circa 1540, was discovered in the roof of Stirling Castle, Scotland, in 1981. The ball is made of leather and a pig’s bladder.
- Football and other fun with pig bladders. That’s right, the urinary bladder of a domestic pig.
- How the Football Got Its Shape. Ever wonder why the creators of American football seemed to have imagined all sorts of game play scenarios and designed the ball’s shape to frustrate the players who have to catch, carry, pass or kick that rascal?
- Rugby Town – History of the Soccer Ball.
- Three poets in our Library have football or pigskin themed works: