United States, (1886-1958)
Ode to the Pig: His Tail
- My tail is not impressive
- But it’s elegant and neat.
- In length it’s not excessive —
- I can’t curl it round my feet —
- But it’s awfully expressive,
- And its weight is not excessive,
- And I don’t think it’s conceit,
- Or foolishly possessive
- If I state with some agressive-
- ness that it’s the final master touch
- That makes a pig complete.
The Collected Poems of Freddy the Pig. New York, Knopf, 1953.
About the Poet
Walter R. Brooks (1886-1958), US editor, reviewer and publicist. From 1932 to 1940 he wrote “Talk of the Town” pieces for the The New Yorker, also worked as a Contributing Editor to Fiction Parade magazine and Scribner’s Commentator. He also created the Freddie the Pig series of children’s books. [DES-6/03]